Monday, October 15, 2012

The Day She Was Born: A Birth Story

These 2 weeks of motherhood so far have been the most amazing journey. Who knew you could feel so much love for someone you've only just met.

5:30am on September 30th I woke up with painful contractions.  I was convinced that they were Braxton Hicks but when walking didn't relieve the pain, I started timing them. They were already at 1-2 minutes apart! I woke my husband up at 7:30am and we drove to the hospital.. Once at the hospital they immediately brought me into a room and checked me. I was already 6 1/2 centimeters dilated and 100% effaced. By the time they finally got my iv in and we were waiting on the epidural I was already at 10 centimeters and in so much pain! Once the epidural kicked in (which felt like FOREVER) they had me start pushing. I then experienced the scariest moment of my life. Tommie's heart rate dropped. They immediately (with my husband's help) flipped me onto my hands and knees and gave me a shot but thankfully that all seemed to work and her heart rate jumped back up. They flipped me back over and let me labor on. I don't know how women manage it without an epidural, laboring was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Soon into pushing we realized she pooped in the birth canal. They warned me that I wouldn't be able to hold her right away and that I shouldn't worry but of course, what mom wouldn't worry about their baby. Finally, at 1:16 pm and  after two full hours of pushing, our daughter was born. What should have been the happiest moment of my life was also the scariest. She was blue and floppy. And totally quiet. I couldn't see her at all once they put her in that little bed and all the nurses surrounded her. My husband was crying with me, holding my hand and telling me that she will be okay and that she is so beautiful.  Her first cry was the most wonderful sound in the world.  After the longest 45 minutes of my life, I finally got to hold my baby girl. She was so unbelievably beautiful. She still is. I couldn't stop looking at her and crying. For a full hour all I did was stare and cry. Holding her for the first time was pure magic, I was so overwhelmed with love. I was very depressed when they took her away to the nursery to give her iv fluids to balance out the acid in her blood.  I wept when they brought her back and I saw the bruises in her hands from the needles. But my tiny little girl could finally be with me and was now perfectly healthy. We are so blessed that God chose us to be the parents of such an amazing little girl.

 Finally getting to hold my tiny angel

 Daddy's little girl

 her smile makes me melt. 

3 comments:

  1. She is absolutely precious and I am so happy that she is happy and healthy. :) Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must have been so scary, but you did great! This post seriously made me tear up :) Your daughter is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some Love!!!